March 4, 2014
A Fountain Valley resident was taken to an area hospital Tuesday morning with minor injuries after crashing her car in Costa Mesa, authorities said. The 67-year-old woman was driving a 2001 Nissan Altima west on Victoria Street around 11 a.m. when she hit a Southern California Edison utility pole, concrete city bench and trash can near the American Avenue intersection, said Costa Mesa police Lt. Greg Scott. Responding officers found that the driver was not impaired. She was taken to Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach.
January 16, 2004
Deepa Bharath Police are looking for four men who grabbed and inappropriately touched three different women on separate occasions on the same stretch of Victoria Street over the last two weeks, officials said. All three incidents happened between the 500 and 600 blocks of Victoria Street, Costa Mesa Police Lt. John FitzPatrick said. The first attack occurred on New Year's Day at 1:50 a.m., he said. A woman was walking alone in the 600 block of Victoria when a man walked up from behind and pulled her into the driveway of an apartment complex, FitzPatrick said.
October 8, 2004
Marisa O'Neil Six months after a string of sexual assaults on Victoria Street, police are still working to solve the puzzling case. In each of the 10 assaults, one to three young men grabbed a woman from behind and groped her -- on one occasion, leaving a victim's 18-month-old son unattended in his stroller. The attacks all took place on Victoria Street between Placentia Avenue and Harbor Boulevard. They stopped in April just as suddenly as they had started in November of last year.
April 16, 2004
Second composite sketch released Costa Mesa police on Thursday released the composite sketch of another man wanted in connection with a series of assaults on Victoria Street since January. The man is said to be between 23 and 26 years of age, between 5-foot-7 and 5-foot-11, weighing about 180 pounds, with a shaved head, police said. On Wednesday, officials released a composite drawing of the man they believe attacked a 24-year-old woman Friday night near the intersection of Victoria and Miner streets.
June 3, 2013
COSTA MESA Placentia Avenue and Victoria Street: A drunk driver was reported at 1:22 a.m. Sunday. Victoria Street and Newport Boulevard: A drunk driver was reported at 1:59 a.m. Sunday. Placentia Avenue: Battery was reported in the 2100 block at 2:07 a.m. Sunday. Pomona Avenue and Congress Street: A person was reportedly drunk in public at 2:54 a.m. Sunday. Bluebird Circle: A residential burglary was reported in the 2700 block at 11:04 a.m. Sunday. Hospital Road: A robbery was reported in the 300 block at 11:14 a.m. Sunday.
April 22, 2004
Deepa Bharath Police suspect the three victims who came forward on Monday with assault allegations were attacked by the same group of men responsible for five other assaults in the Westside since December. Most of the women were walking alone and all but two of the eight reported assaults happened in broad daylight, Costa Mesa Police Lt. John FitzPatrick said. All of the women were reportedly grabbed as they were walking on Victoria Street and touched inappropriately.
May 14, 2004
Deepa Bharath Police on Wednesday dropped their case against a teenager arrested last week in connection with a groping incident at a 7-Eleven, caught on the store's surveillance tape, officials said. The 16-year-old whom officers arrested on May 6 was among the group of people caught on tape at the 7-Eleven at the corner of Victoria Street and Placentia Avenue, police said. Police also said a man on the tape, believed to have touched the same female customer, looked like one of the men wanted in connection with a series of assaults on Victoria Street since December.
May 6, 2004
Deepa Bharath A surveillance tape from a local convenience store, which captures a young man reaching under a customer's skirt, may help police find one of the men responsible for a series of assaults on the city's Westside, officials said. The woman, believed to be in her mid-20s, reported the groping to police Monday afternoon, shortly after it happened at the 7-Eleven at Victoria Street and Placentia Avenue, said Costa Mesa Police Lt. John FitzPatrick.
February 7, 2009
Four Costa Mesa City Council members had the good sense to move forward on a project to repave and rehabilitate old Newport Boulevard, Victoria Street, Adams Avenue, Wilson Street and Mendoza Drive. The first step: design plans, at a cost of $500,000. The hitch: The remainder of the project would be funded by the federal stimulus package working its way back to the House. So kudos to Allan Mansoor, Katrina Foley, Gary Monahan and Wendy Leece for their entirely appropriate votes.
April 9, 2007
Here's an item the commission will consider today. CONDO CONVERSION Owner Barry Saywitz wants to convert a 12-unit apartment complex he owns on Victoria Street to condos for sale. The complex is one of 12 pending projects that were grandfathered in to avoid a 45-day moratorium the City Council placed last week on condo conversions. Built in 1960, the building at 577 and 579 Victoria St. has 23 parking spaces, somewhat short of the 38 spots city code requires, though Saywitz plans to add three spaces.