Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsTrabuco Canyon
IN THE NEWS

Trabuco Canyon

NEWS
By Nicole Santa Cruz and Lauren Williams | May 1, 2013
One of the two hikers who went missing in Trabuco Canyon and inspired a $160,000 search effort has been charged with possession of methamphetamine, officials said. Deputies are reporting that they found 497 milligrams of methamphetamine in 19-year-old Nicolas Cendoya's car while they were searching for the Costa Mesa pair, said Farrah Emami, a spokeswoman with the district attorney's office. Cendoya was sent a letter to appear in court on May 22 to answer to the felony charge, which was filed Tuesday.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Bradley Zint | May 21, 2013
A state legislative proposal unanimously approved Tuesday by the Orange County Board of Supervisors would allow governments to be reimbursed for search-and-rescue costs resulting from people displaying "wanton or reckless conduct. " The proposal specifies that the rescues must have been for people 16 and older who "act in violation of any federal or state law or local ordinance and necessitates the use of emergency services," according to a news release from the office of 3rd District Supervisor Todd Spitzer.
NEWS
By Jill Cowan | April 5, 2013
In a statement released Friday afternoon, one of the two Costa Mesa teens rescued from a hike gone wrong in Trabuco Canyon thanked the hundreds who staged the massive search for the pair and said he looked forward to seeing for himself that his hiking partner was recovering. "I was so relieved to hear that Kyndall [Jack, 18] was found and will be OK," said Nicolas Cendoya, 19. "I can't wait to see her face-to-face and give her a big hug. I just want to see for myself that she's OK. " Cendoya and Jack, who headed into the scrubby wilds near Rancho Santa Margarita on Easter Sunday, got separated early into their nearly weeklong ordeal, he previously told authorities.
LOCAL
By Brianna Bailey and Sue Thoensen Daily Pilot | October 22, 2007
Two burros, two llamas and 84 horses took shelter at the Orange County Fairgrounds Monday as wildfires continued to blaze across the region. When the stalls were filled, horses were driven into a large arena together. Not an ideal situation — the animals could become aggressive and fight — but “better than the alternative,” said Mitch Brazeal, an office manager at the fairgrounds equestrian center. “Owners are willing to overlook a few cuts and scrapes under the circumstances,” Brazeal said.
SPORTS
By Barry Faulkner | June 24, 2006
DANA POINT ? There are no trade-deadline deals in youth baseball. Fire sales with which to stockpile arms or exchange an aging veteran for the promise of a young prospect are similarly out of the question. So, John Flynn, manager of the Newport Harbor Baseball Assn. Pony 13-year-old All-Stars, has no owner and general manager to meet with and discuss personnel changes. In this league, you play with the kids on the roster. That is the deal. Unfortunately for the Newport Harbor squad, this year's roster does not come with much experience on the mound.
NEWS
By Jeremiah Dobruck and Bradley Zint | January 16, 2014
Firefighters controlled a fire that broke out in Talbert Regional Park in Costa Mesa on Thursday after it burned nearly three acres. Authorities had almost fully contained the blaze by 4 p.m., nearly five hours after it sparked, according to Capt. Shane Sherwood of the Orange County Fire Authority. "Hand crews were still working, mopping up some hot spots," he said. On Wednesday, three suspicious brush fires broke out in Talbert and up the bluff in Fairview Park. Those fires, which burned about three-tenths of an acre combined, are being investigated as possible acts of arson, according to the Costa Mesa Fire Department.
OCNOW
By Jill Cowan | April 4, 2013
Just off Trabuco Canyon Road near the fire station, the wood-porched Trabuco Canyon General Store is an old-fashioned place that sells, among other things, chicken feed. And it smells like it.  There, longtime canyon denizens followed the search for two Costa Mesa hikers who had been missing since Sunday from a tiny TV mounted from the ceiling.  Russ Thompson, 75, sat perched in a busted, old chair tucked among snacks and supplies.  He said his guesses about the fate of Kyndall Jack, 18, and Nicolas Cendoya, 19, were "totally wrong.
SPORTS
March 21, 2013
COSTA MESA — Three Southern Californians advanced to the quarterfinals of the Costa Mesa Pro Classic Thursday, and none of them had an easy ride. Poway's Bradley Klahn, the third seed, won the first set in a tie breaker, 7-6 (2) and the second set, 6-4, dispatching Mitchell Krueger. Trabuco Canyon's Nicholas Meister, after winning a tough three-set match on Wednesday, did the same on Thursday, beating India's top player, Sanam Singh, the seventh seed, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. And Torrance's Jason Jung needed a tiebreaking win in the second set to defeat Chili's Juan Carlos Sanez, 6-3, 7-6 (2)
NEWS
By: | September 6, 2005
Freda Cozad, 88 A memorial service will be held today in Porterville, Calif., for former Costa Mesa resident Freda Cozad. Mrs. Cozad, born in Oklahoma, lived in Costa Mesa for 33 years with her husband, Ray Cozad. They owned Cozad and Son Welding in Costa Mesa for more than 30 years. The Cozads moved to Springville, Calif., in 1980. Mrs. Cozad died Saturday of a stroke. She was 88 years old. Mrs. Cozad is survived by three children: Fay Acton of Trabuco Canyon; Dennis Cozad of Costa Mesa; Jeff Cozad of Springville, Calif.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|