Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsSermon
IN THE NEWS

Sermon

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
By Rabbi Marc Gellman | January 18, 2013
Q: Upon retirement, my husband and I moved to the sunny South. We began attending services at his family's church. They're quite unlike what we're familiar with, in that the church is conservative and fundamentalist. We agreed to accept this in the interest of family harmony. However, we weren't prepared for the sermon delivered Dec. 23, 2012, just after the school shootings at Connecticut. First, we heard a brief eulogy for the 26 victims, followed by a 20-minute defense of gun owners and the NRA. While in shock, we looked around and saw that everyone else was nodding in agreement.
NEWS
By Michael Miller | September 27, 2008
The Bible teaches that when Joseph, the viceroy of Egypt, was faced with an abundance of grain, he knew from prophecy that the surplus would be followed by seven years of famine. When the famine struck, then, he staved off hunger by having his people farm all the cultivated land, with 80% of the crop going to them and the remaining 20% to the king. To Rabbi Marc Rubenstein of Temple Isaiah, that story has more than a little relevance in modern America, as the government intervenes to save the faltering economy.
NEWS
March 24, 2001
-- Michele Marr Church name: Newport Center United Methodist Church. Address: 1601 Marguerite Ave., Corona del Mar. Telephone: (949) 644-0745, church office; (949) 644-0740, preschool office. Denomination: United Methodist. Year church established: 1945. Service times: 8 a.m. Sunday is a quiet, meditative service with piano; 10 a.m. Sunday is a full, intergenerational service with choirs and organ. Senior pastor: Cathleen Coots, who has been at Newport Center United Methodist Church for three years.
NEWS
November 30, 2002
Mailing address: P.O. Box 4101, Costa Mesa, CA 92628 Sunday service address: Westin Hotel, South Coast Plaza, 686 Anton Blvd., Costa Mesa Parking: Free. Telephone: (714) 875-0869 Web site: www.redeemerpres.com E-mail: jim@redeemerpres.com Denomination: Presbyterian Church in America Year established: 2001 Service time: 10 a.m. Sunday Senior pastor: Jim Belcher. On Oct. 6, in a public ceremony that came after nearly two years of intensive theological studies, preparation and examinations, Belcher was ordained into the Presbyterian Church of America.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By Rabbi Marc Gellman | January 18, 2013
Q: Upon retirement, my husband and I moved to the sunny South. We began attending services at his family's church. They're quite unlike what we're familiar with, in that the church is conservative and fundamentalist. We agreed to accept this in the interest of family harmony. However, we weren't prepared for the sermon delivered Dec. 23, 2012, just after the school shootings at Connecticut. First, we heard a brief eulogy for the 26 victims, followed by a 20-minute defense of gun owners and the NRA. While in shock, we looked around and saw that everyone else was nodding in agreement.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Mark Wiley | September 23, 2011
I think the troubles in the economy have nothing do with the economy. The economists all seem to say that if we can generate consumer spending, we will be OK. But the economists and politicians don't ask the critical question — why aren't we spending? Is it because we don't have as much money? Or that we are worried about things being worse tomorrow? Or that we have diminished capacity? All these are true, but they have not necessarily stopped us in the past.
NEWS
Mark S. Miller | December 25, 2010
A century ago, the Times of London invited writers to answer the question, "What's wrong with the world?" Essayist Gilbert Chesterton's answer was the shortest of those submitted. He simply wrote: "Dear Sirs: I am. " In those two words, Chesterton marked the gap between our aspirations and our accomplishments; he acknowledged the distance separating what we wanted our life to be and what it had become. People are practiced in identifying how others should change, while forgiving their own behaviors.
NEWS
December 24, 2008
Local Muslims will gather starting Sunday at the Islamic Educational Center of Orange County in Costa Mesa to celebrate the holiday Muharram, the first month of the Muslim calendar. The center will feature 12 nights of sermons about Imam Hussein, a grandson of the prophet Muhammad. The gatherings begin at 7 p.m. with prayers, followed by speakers and dinner. On Jan. 7, the center will mark Ashura, the 10th day of Muharram, when Shiites mourn Hussein’s martyrdom in 680. Imam Sayed Moustafa al-Qazwini recently returned from a pilgrimage to Mecca and will soon head to Michigan for this year’s lecture series on Muharram.
NEWS
By Michael Miller | September 27, 2008
The Bible teaches that when Joseph, the viceroy of Egypt, was faced with an abundance of grain, he knew from prophecy that the surplus would be followed by seven years of famine. When the famine struck, then, he staved off hunger by having his people farm all the cultivated land, with 80% of the crop going to them and the remaining 20% to the king. To Rabbi Marc Rubenstein of Temple Isaiah, that story has more than a little relevance in modern America, as the government intervenes to save the faltering economy.
FEATURES
May 31, 2008
Sen. John McCain last week rejected the endorsements of evangelical leaders John Hagee and Rod Parsley after a late-’90s Hagee sermon was found, in which he cited Jeremiah 16:15 to argue that God allowed the Holocaust so Jews would found the state of Israel. He referred to Hitler as a hunter sent by God. Parsley has rebuked Islam and called it inherently violent. Hagee argued that his critics are “grossly misrepresenting” his position. Do you think his views are being distorted, or was McCain right in saying his comments were “crazy and unacceptable”?
FEATURES
By Daniel Tedford | February 12, 2008
This corrects an earlier version of this story. Flower power met spiritual power Sunday at a one-of-a-kind church service. It was a groovy morning at the Costa Mesa Senior Center as the spirit of the 1960s was incorporated into the usual activities and religious wisdom. Donning ’60s threads with a daisy in his shirt pocket, Pastor Jim Turrell led a service about adversity and security. “It was a great opportunity to have fun,” said Turrell, who has been leading the church since 1987.
FEATURES
By MARK MILLER | November 10, 2007
The instruction by airline personnel to “secure your mask before assisting others” offers a caution that can guide our moral life: that we must first secure ourselves before going forth to affect the lives of others. Tolstoy wrote that everyone thinks of changing humanity, but no one thinks of changing himself. After all, it is much easier to involve ourselves in great causes and on behalf of people in distant places rather than undertake the laborious effort of self-improvement.
FEATURES
September 23, 2006
The Internal Revenue Service recently ordered a liberal Pasadena Episcopal church to turn over all its documents and e-mails in 2004 that contained references to political candidates. It's part of a probe into alleged improper campaigning by churches. In the case of All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena, the investigation started after the pastor delivered a sermon that depicted Jesus in a mock debate with President Bush and his Democratic challenger John Kerry. Do you think this kind of probe is proper?
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|