Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsRobbery
IN THE NEWS

Robbery

NEWS
April 26, 2011
COSTA MESA —Police arrested a Mission Viejo man on suspicion of armed robbery at a Costa Mesa gas station early Tuesday. Officers arrested Brandon Headstrand, 25, after responding to a 911 call about 1:41 a.m. from an Arco station in the 2600 block of Newport Avenue, Costa Mesa Lt. Rob Sharpnack said. When officers arrived, they were told that a man in the company of two women tried to steal a pair of sunglasses. As a store clerk tried to stop him, the suspect pulled out a knife, police were told.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 12, 2011
A Mission Viejo man is due back in court Thursday after being charged with tying up an Irvine pharmacy clerk and robbing him last week. Scott Burnett, 33, pleaded not guilty Wednesday at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana to robbery and assault with a stun gun. Irvine police said that at about 10 a.m. Monday, Burnett went to the Irvine Medical Pharmacy, 14130 Culver Drive, and tied up the clerk with plastic zip-ties and covered the clerk's...
NEWS
February 10, 2011
AREA 1 - Congress Street: A petty theft was reported in the 800 block at 9:39 a.m. Wednesday. Scott Place: A vehicle was reported burglarized in the 700 block at 10:29 a.m. Wednesday. Fairview Road: A grand theft was reported in the 2700 block at 2:19 p.m. Wednesday. Pomona Avenue: A petty theft was reported in the 2000 block at 3:18 p.m. Wednesday. Anaheim Avenue: A person was reported drunk in public in the 1900 block at 5:05 p.m. Wednesday.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna, joseph.serna@latimes.com | February 10, 2011
A local transient has been linked through his DNA sample to an unsolved case in Arizona and faces extradition Thursday back to that state, authorities said in a news release. In September, police in Chandler, Ariz., reached out to Newport Beach police and the Orange County district attorney's office to find Santos Basilio O'Dell, 32, according to a joint news release from Newport police and the D.A.'s office. Detectives in Arizona allegedly got a "hit," or match, from O'Dell's DNA with evidence they had from a 2004 cold case rape, kidnapping and robbery in Chandler, according to the release.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna, joseph.serna@latimes.com | January 11, 2011
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against a Garden Grove man accused of executing a Costa Mesa man and his co-worker during a robbery last year in Stanton. Because of the seriousness of the alleged crime, and the nature of the slayings, a panel of Orange County district attorney prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Hilbert Pineil Thomas, 39. Thomas is accused of shooting, execution-style, Costa Mesa resident Matthew Francis Scott, 42, and his coworker Elizabeth Ann Palmer, 50, of Fountain Valley, on Feb. 2, 2010 at Golden Sun Homes in Stanton.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna, joseph.serna@latimes.com | September 16, 2010
Violent crime in Newport Beach dropped nearly 9% in 2009 compared with the year before, police statistics show. In an annual FBI report on violent crime in U.S. cities with more than 100,000 residents, data show Newport Beach is following the national trend of fewer homicides, rapes and robberies. There were 91 violent crimes in the city last year compared with 99 in 2008. There was a slight uptick in aggravated assaults, to 54 from 50, in 2008. There were fewer incidents of all four offenses nationwide, the FBI reported.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna, joseph.serna@latimes.com | September 14, 2010
COSTA MESA — Violent crime in Costa Mesa dropped 14% in 2009 compared with the year prior, according to statistics released in the FBI's annual report on violent crime. There were 301 violent crimes in Costa Mesa in 2009, compared with 350 the year before. The FBI considers homicides, robberies, rapes and aggravated assaults violent crime. There were only two homicides between 2007 and 2009, police statistics show. In October 2009, police said 76-year-old Kenneth Leake shot his wife in their home off Orange Avenue, accounting for the lone homicide case.
NEWS
July 23, 2010
Newport Beach police believe that the so-called "Ho Hum Bandit," might be at it again. A man entered the Citibank on 3021 E. Coast Hwy. in Corona del Mar about 9:21 a.m. and slipped a note to the teller, who then provided the suspect with an undisclosed amount of cash. The robber's seemingly passive demeanor earned him the Ho Hum moniker, according to a report in the Orange County Register. A similar incident happened June 11 at the same bank, where the thief pushed a note across the desk and left with thousands of dollars in cash.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna, joseph.serna@latimes.com | July 14, 2010
Two Orange County men are scheduled to be arraigned Friday on charges that they robbed a man at gunpoint and later stole $50 from another man while stabbing him six times during a late-night crime spree in Newport Beach in May. Maximiliano Bahena Jr., 20, of Orange, and Frank Zamora Rocha, 19, of Garden Grove, face attempted murder and robbery charges related to separate May 27 incidents on the Balboa Peninsula. According to police, the crime spree began at about 1 a.m. at the Peninsula 7-Eleven at 1920 W. Balboa Blvd.
NEWS
June 9, 2010
Police have identified the three people arrested this week in connection with a Newport Beach bank robbery as residents of Long Beach. Officers arrested Ronald Jordan, 40, Vishani Williams, 31, and Michael Monette, 38, on suspicion of being the three who robbed a Bank of America on East Coast Highway in Corona del Mar Tuesday morning armed with guns. Police said Jordan and Monette entered the bank and ordered everyone to the ground while they stole cash. The men escaped in a black Dodge Charger, which police tracked to Huntington Beach, said Newport Beach Sgt. Steve Burdette.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|