Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsRestrooms
IN THE NEWS

Restrooms

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
October 13, 2002
June Casagrande Forty-three thousand dollars set aside by council members on Tuesday could mean better, cleaner conditions at the city's 14 beach restrooms. The decision is just the latest chapter in the city's ongoing quest to keep beach bathrooms clean -- a quest that illustrates the difficulties of choosing between contractors or staff to do the less-than-desirable work. Budget pressures in the late 1980s caused city officials to change restroom cleaning from a city staff responsibility to a service provided mainly by outside contractors.
NEWS
September 12, 2002
June Casagrande City Council members who've been wondering what it will take to keep public restrooms clean just got an answer: about $30,000 a year. Prompted by the perpetually distressing state of many beach-area bathrooms, Councilman Gary Adams last month requested a study session to determine what, exactly, it's going to take to keep the city's 130 public toilets presentable. "I'm convinced you could clean them after every fifth use and you'd still get complaints," General Services Director Dave Niederhaus told council members.
NEWS
July 13, 2011
NEWPORT BEACH — At its Tuesday meeting, the City Council considered banning smoking in public parks. Smoking is already prohibited on beaches, piers and the boardwalk. In April, the council voted 4-3 in a nonbinding straw poll to approve a smoking ban in parks. But during the meeting, Mayor Mike Henn suggested the city also ban smoking at the street ends leading up to the Balboa Peninsula boardwalk. Henn lives in a house on the boardwalk, two doors down from a street end. Councilman Keith Curry said this additional ban could be a "slippery slope.
NEWS
October 24, 2001
June Casagrande NEWPORT BEACH -- Two of the beach's worst bathrooms will soon be bulldozed and replaced, the City Council decided Tuesday. Public restrooms at Balboa Pier and Washington Street, under a $531,000 contract approved with Klassic Inc., will be closed, probably beginning mid-November. Portable toilets will be in use for about 12 weeks while the new bathrooms are constructed. "We timed this to coincide with the slow season," said Lloyd Dalton of the city's Public Works Department.
NEWS
December 11, 2001
-- June Casagrande Bright red, white and blue "Shop Balboa" banners mounted on at least a dozen light poles will help Balboa Village businesses burdened by construction as the city makes $8 million in improvements. A-frame sidewalk boards will direct shoppers and visitors to where additional parking is located, in particular during the annual Christmas Boat Parade from Monday to Dec. 23. The first phase of work includes renovation and restoration of Balboa Boulevard from Main Street to Adams Street, the Washington Street and Balboa Pier restrooms, and the Balboa Pier area.
NEWS
October 11, 2001
Deirdre Newman NEWPORT-MESA -- Jill Money's sons won't use the restrooms at Corona del Mar High School because they're not clean, their toilets constantly run and, generally, they're in disrepair. Karen Yelsey's daughters, too, stay away from the restrooms. Their children's avoidance has both parents concerned about such health and safety issues. So they were disappointed that the school board on Tuesday unanimously approved the districtwide plan for construction improvements that shows interior school bathroom repairs are ranked fourth of seven priorities.
NEWS
October 21, 2002
CORONA DEL MAR'S VISION 2004: "The Vision 2004 plan is about making it look nicer and making it a pedestrian area. I don't have a problem with making it look nicer as long as it doesn't slow up traffic." FISCAL SPENDING: "I think we need to look at the ways the city is spending its money and where it could do better. ... The $1 million we're spending to fix up the restrooms on Corona del Mar Beach, we could probably fix up those restrooms for $100,000 and make better use of that money."
FEATURES
By HOMER BLUDAU | July 8, 2006
Ron Wells' letter in the July 5 Daily Pilot about Big Corona State Beach spurred me to let Pilot readers know more about the improvement project underway there ("Looking forward to empty Big Corona parking lot"). The contract called for the construction to be done before summer. That will not be the case, which is very frustrating to all of us at City Hall. That said, no one has had to deal with more challenges associated with this project than the area residents and beach users who call Big Corona "our beach."
NEWS
October 31, 2001
June Casagrande NEWPORT BEACH -- Though their beach is perhaps in more dire need of change than any other in the city, residents near Big Corona have voiced a strong desire to keep change to a minimum. City officials are reviewing comments from 180 residents who responded to a survey about ways to best upgrade decayed facilities such as roofless restrooms and impossible parking. Residents' clearest, most unified message: no new restaurants. Of the 176 who offered their input on food service at the beach, 109 said the city should keep a single concession stand in the area.
NEWS
By: | September 21, 2005
The city of Costa Mesa has received a competitive $930,000 grant from the California State Parks Office to construct a playground at TeWinkle Park. Two hundred twelve local jurisdictions applied for the grant this year, and 30 cities statewide received funding. The grants provide funds for playgrounds and other recreational centers. With the grant money, Costa Mesa will create a barrier-free playground at TeWinkle Park and replace the park's old restrooms, shade shelters, barbecue area, walkways and handicapped-accessible play area for toddlers.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
July 13, 2011
NEWPORT BEACH — At its Tuesday meeting, the City Council considered banning smoking in public parks. Smoking is already prohibited on beaches, piers and the boardwalk. In April, the council voted 4-3 in a nonbinding straw poll to approve a smoking ban in parks. But during the meeting, Mayor Mike Henn suggested the city also ban smoking at the street ends leading up to the Balboa Peninsula boardwalk. Henn lives in a house on the boardwalk, two doors down from a street end. Councilman Keith Curry said this additional ban could be a "slippery slope.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Mike Reicher, mike.reicher@latimes.com | February 28, 2011
Malarky's Irish Pub, a 35-year-old watering hole on the Balboa Peninsula, is planning a major remodel and expansion. That may be good news to its drinking denizens and Newport Beach business boosters, but some of the bar's neighbors aren't too pleased. They're organizing a protest ahead of Thursday's Newport Beach Planning Commission meeting. "You already have a saturation of drinking establishments on the peninsula," said Craig Batley, president of the West Newport Beach Assn.
NEWS
October 16, 2010
Irvine — The Orange County Great Park's Hangar 244 is slated for renovations that include new restrooms and paint as well as significant structural upgrades. The City Council voted last week to approve construction plans, estimated between $1 million to $1.3 million, to upgrade the facility to meet current building standards. The project is funded from the Western Sector Park Development Plan, which was approved November 2009, and $475,000 from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, according to a staff report.
NEWS
By Alan Blank | August 25, 2009
Transients who have taken up residency at Canyon Park in Costa Mesa have repeatedly broken the fence separating the park from the Newport Terrace condominium complex “in order to use the complex’s common area as a bathroom,” according to a complaint that the complex’s lawyers filed with the city. The attorneys have submitted a stack of repair bills totaling $1,200 to the city that the complex’s owners want reimbursed. And to prevent it from happening again, the complaint forcefully asks that Costa Mesa either install bathrooms in the park or put up a more effective barricade, ensuring that the feces stay on the other side regardless of whether they are left in a toilet or the bushes.
NEWS
By Brianna Bailey | December 30, 2008
The price for a waterfront park on Balboa Peninsula could be as high as $30 million, Newport Beach city officials said Tuesday. Original plans for the park included a playground and some boat slips, estimated to cost about $12 million, but plans for the roughly 9-acre site grew to include a 11,115-foot sailing center with a lighthouse-themed design and a 10,200 square-foot community center. Earlier estimates have put the project’s cost about $20 million, said Dave Webb, Newport Beach deputy public works director.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna | December 2, 2008
A Newport Harbor High School student was arrested Tuesday after authorities said she ignited a fire in a girls restroom on the campus, forcing students campuswide to evacuate the school. Authorities suspect the girl, a 17-year-old Costa Mesa resident, set a roll of toilet paper on fire in a girls bathroom in a portable trailer on the campus, which caused about $500 in damage to the stall walls, officials said. It doesn’t appear she was doing something else, such as smoking, to accidentally ignite the flames, Sgt. Evan Sailor said.
LOCAL
By Jessie Brunner | July 28, 2007
A framed photograph of a World War II veteran said to be worth $10,000 has been stolen from the Arches restaurant, Newport Beach police said Friday. Police suspect a restaurant patron swiped the 18-inch-by-12-inch piece Wednesday evening from the south wall near the restrooms. It displayed a photo collage of a U.S. Marine on a beach in Okinawa in 1945 and a second shot taken at the same beach 50 years later. "I don't know who would want it, but I mean somebody would pay $10,000 for it," said restaurant owner Dan Marcheano.
NEWS
September 26, 2006
Here are some items the council will consider tonight. GROUP HOMES Planning staff members have proposed changes to rules that govern large day-care facilities and homes where multiple unrelated people live, such as sober-living residences and halfway houses. City code enforcement officers have reported a problem with people renting out rooms in their homes in areas with single-family zoning, which is not allowed. The suggestion is that any home where rooms are rented with more than one separate lease agreement should fall under a "group residential" classification.
FEATURES
By HOMER BLUDAU | July 8, 2006
Ron Wells' letter in the July 5 Daily Pilot about Big Corona State Beach spurred me to let Pilot readers know more about the improvement project underway there ("Looking forward to empty Big Corona parking lot"). The contract called for the construction to be done before summer. That will not be the case, which is very frustrating to all of us at City Hall. That said, no one has had to deal with more challenges associated with this project than the area residents and beach users who call Big Corona "our beach."
NEWS
By: | September 21, 2005
The city of Costa Mesa has received a competitive $930,000 grant from the California State Parks Office to construct a playground at TeWinkle Park. Two hundred twelve local jurisdictions applied for the grant this year, and 30 cities statewide received funding. The grants provide funds for playgrounds and other recreational centers. With the grant money, Costa Mesa will create a barrier-free playground at TeWinkle Park and replace the park's old restrooms, shade shelters, barbecue area, walkways and handicapped-accessible play area for toddlers.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|