Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsProbation
IN THE NEWS

Probation

LOCAL
By Joseph Serna | December 31, 2009
A Newport Beach attorney who was recently suspended from the state bar after being convicted as a sex offender has 30 days to notify his clients, other attorneys and pay back any money he hasn’t earned, according to state bar documents. Paul Etan Fisher, 50, was convicted of lewd acts upon a 15-year-old girl in October and sentenced to a year in jail and five years of formal probation. More than two months later, on Dec. 27, the State Bar of California suspended Fisher from practicing law. The felony conviction was just the latest on a growing pile of misconduct by Fisher, according to documents made available by the state bar. The bar put Fisher on probation in 2007 after it concluded he was filing court motions without merit and entering into improper business agreements with his clients.
Advertisement
FEATURES
By BY DAVID CARRILLO PEÑALOZA | October 19, 2009
The Sage Hill School boys’ and girls’ athletic programs have been placed on probation for two years after the CIF Southern Section discovered a lack of administrative oversight last spring involving the boys’ volleyball team. Boys’ Athletic Director J.R. Tolver said the boys’ volleyball program’s decision to withdraw from the CIF Southern California Division III Regional Championship opening-round match on June 2 at Francis Parker of San Diego forced the section to put Sage Hill on probation.
NEWS
September 28, 2009
A Norco man who tried to hide a biker buddy’s knife after a Newport Beach brawl last year can avoid four months of jail if he doesn’t violate probation in the next three years. Glenn Arthur Schoeman, 57, was sentenced to three years’ formal probation and had a 120-day jail sentence stayed after pleading guilty Friday to helping members of the Set Free Soldiers after a brawl with the Hells Angels last summer in Newport Beach. Schoeman pleaded guilty to helping Jose Enrique Quinones, 43, hide a bloody knife in Schoeman’s car after Quinones stabbed two Hells Angels members with it July 27, 2008, inside of Blackie’s By The Sea bar. On Sept.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna | September 25, 2009
Local billionaire and Broadcom Corp. founder Henry Samueli next year will be at the mercy of a federal judge, who’ll sentence him to prison for pleading guilty to lying to government investigators about his role in a fraud. On Thursday, Samueli lost an appeal in the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. He was appealing Judge Cormac Carney’s decision to not accept a plea bargain that he and prosecutors had agreed to last year. Samueli pleaded guilty to lying to investigators about his company’s alleged stock-option back-dating scheme for Broadcom employees.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna | July 10, 2009
The former Harbor Master from the Orange County Sheriff’s Harbor Patrol pleaded guilty Friday to a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence. Lt. Erin Guidice, 48, was sentenced to three years’ informal probation, fines, fees and ordered to attend a class on alcohol abuse and pay restitution. About 9 p.m. April 14, Guidice was driving an unmarked Orange County Sheriff’s Department vehicle northbound on Jamboree Road in Irvine when she rear-ended another car stopped at a red light.
LOCAL
By Joseph Serna | June 23, 2009
Stephen Leece, son of Costa Mesa Mayor Pro Tem Wendy Leece, is on three years informal probation and must participate in a domestic violence program after being convicted of violence against his girlfriend. Leece, 28, pleaded guilty Friday to misdemeanor corporal injury to his girlfriend following his arrest June 3 on suspicion he had beat her and her 9-year-old son during an argument at the girlfriend’s home. Prosecutors dropped child abuse and vandalism charges against Leece “in the interest of justice,” said Orange County District Attorney spokeswoman Farrah Emami.
NEWS
June 10, 2009
A Newport Beach man faces additional time in federal prison for his persistence in tricking people into believing he’s a lawyer, federal prosecutors said Wednesday. Harold Goldstein, 64, was released from federal prison May 1 after serving a portion of his seven-year sentence and put on supervised probation. Goldstein had been convicted of mail fraud and making false declarations under oath that he was a lawyer, at one point stealing the identity of a Northern California attorney.
NEWS
April 9, 2009
A homeless man from Costa Mesa is scheduled to be in court today after police arrested him for allegedly hitting another transient with a 2-by-4 during a fight over a sleeping spot earlier this week. Police said Lawrence Alexander Rugley, 29, confronted a 45-year-old homeless man atop the roof of the Costa Mesa pool hall and arcade, Games Plus, 518 W. 19th St. Rugley told the man that was his sleeping spot, and during the argument Rugley grabbed the thick piece of wood and clubbed the man several times in the back and legs, police said.
NEWS
March 19, 2009
A Corona del Mar man will have to serve 90 days in jail if he violates probation in the next five years after assaulting a woman in his home, prosecutors said. Corey Katir, 48, pleaded no contest Tuesday to felony false imprisonment and misdemeanor battery after he was arrested for sexually assaulting a woman half his age when she went to his house to respond to a Craigslist ad he had for a room to rent. Katir was sentenced to five years’ formal probation and 90 days in jail.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|