Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsKiff
IN THE NEWS

Kiff

NEWS
August 8, 2001
Mathis Winkler NEWPORT BEACH -- When Corona del Mar resident Walt Naidus heard that the Los Angeles City Council opened the city's cable service to competition last week, he called Newport Beach City Hall to find out when they'd follow suit. Naidus, who said he saw his cable bills climb from $12 to $42 over the past dozen years, has long been an advocate of getting residents more choice in cable providers. "It's a supply and demand issue," he said.
Advertisement
NEWS
By By Alicia Robinson | November 19, 2005
On the Web and seeking community responses since Oct. 31, city-run site has yet to receive a comment. Newport's technology leader says city is ahead of the curve.The city of Newport Beach has launched its first blog in the hope of eliciting more community feedback about proposals for the Marinapark property. The blog, the brainchild of Assistant City Manager Dave Kiff, was created about two weeks ago but is so far bare of any suggestions or complaints. The City Council has been debating what to do with the city-owned Marinapark property for years.
NEWS
By Alicia Robinson | May 19, 2006
The city of Newport Beach now knows exactly what happened to nearly $180 million in tax assessments charged to Newport Coast homeowners. The money's been spent, in some cases miles away from Newport Coast, and although the disbursements may not seem fair, they appear to be legal, Newport Beach Assistant City Manager Dave Kiff said. Newport Coast was unincorporated county land in 1987 when officials began approving plans for more than 5,200 homes. The area was annexed to Newport Beach in 2002.
NEWS
By Mike Reicher | July 28, 2012
A Secret Service official said Newport Beach city administrators are asking the wrong people to pay for police protection at presidential campaign events. It's the service that is responsible for the candidates' security, not the campaigns, spokesman Max Milien said, and any cost concerns should have been directed its way. Newport Beach City Manager Dave Kiff billed the campaigns for President Obama and presumptive GOP candidate Mitt Romney for police security at their separate fundraisers in Newport.
NEWS
February 14, 2004
June Casagrande The city has launched a no-holds-barred campaign to get $24.5 million in federal funding for Back Bay dredging. It's a multitiered attack: Mayor Tod Ridgeway will visit U.S. Rep. Chris Cox in Washington D.C., on Feb. 25 in a plea for help. The City Council on Tuesday passed a resolution to ask for the federal government's assistance. And, because of that resolution, the city this week sent letters to California senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer urging their continued support.
NEWS
By Alicia Robinson | October 16, 2007
How to get the ever-more-shallow Newport harbor dredged has become an $18-million question for Newport Beach officials. The harbor hasn’t been thoroughly dredged in more than 70 years. With boaters’ complaints of running aground becoming more common and an estimated 900,000 cubic yards of sediment to be removed, the city wants to get a dredging project teed up as soon as possible. Officials hope to start in 2009, but first they need to pay for the work. City leaders will meet later this month with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which is responsible for maintenance dredging of the harbor, in the hope of persuading the Corps to pay for some or all of the work.
NEWS
September 14, 2001
June Casagrande NEWPORT BEACH -- Newport Coast residents who oppose a plan to annex their community into the city will soon get a brief window of opportunity to speak up. Those who don't clearly say "no" will be counted as supporters. On the heels of Wednesday's unanimous decision by the Local Agency Formation Commission to move the annexation process forward, the final phase of the approval process will give the 2,600 or so residents 30 days to object, or forever hold their peace.
NEWS
January 2, 2004
June Casagrande They're just four tiny parks -- places to sit with a cup of coffee or a sandwich and enjoy a view of Buck Gully, Los Trancos Canyon or the ocean. Newport Coast residents, however, believe these four little parks now in county hands would be a lot better off in the hands of Newport Beach officials. The Newport Coast Advisory Committee next month will consider a plan to ask the county to hand over four tiny parks within the city borders: two on San Joaquin Hills Road near Buck Gully, two on Newport Coast Drive, both north of the Marriott Newport Coast Resort and overlooking Los Trancos Canyon.
NEWS
September 24, 2001
June Casagrande NEWPORT BEACH -- The beginning of the end of the Newport Coast annexation debate is set for Oct. 15 -- the official start of a 30-day period when residents of the unincorporated area can protest plans to become part of the city. For the 2,600 or so residents in the area, silence at that point is complicity: More than a quarter of the registered voters there must file a protest against annexation or else it will be automatically approved.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|