Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsDemolition
IN THE NEWS

Demolition

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
August 31, 2011
The saying goes that one man's trash is another man's treasure. For a few hours Tuesday, Newport Beach firefighters put an eyesore at Dover Drive and Coast Highway to good use, using what will soon be a pile of rubble as their own personal training ground. "We love to train on active buildings before they get bulldozed," said Todd Knipp, a Newport Beach fire battalion chief. Knipp and other firefighters used the abandoned building, donated by a private company that plans to demolish it, for vertical ventilation training, where they cut holes in the roof.
NEWS
April 22, 2009
Construction crews began bulldozing the old Oasis Senior Center in Corona del Mar this week to make way for a new, $16.5 million state-of-the-art facility. The senior center has run its programs out of an old school building on Marguerite Avenue since the 1970s. The new, 36,500-square-foot center will feature a fitness center and a library and computer room and will utilize recycled materials from the old senior center in the construction. The project was originally slated to cost about $20 million, but construction bids came in so low that officials announced earlier this year that the city won’t need to borrow any money to finance the project for the time being.
NEWS
August 5, 2007
Robins Hall, the venerable building at Newport Harbor High School whose clock tower has served as a visual symbol of the school for 77 years, is set to be demolished starting Thursday morning. Deputy Supt. Paul Reed said the wrecking ball was expected to start work at 8 a.m. The building, which formerly housed the school's theater, classrooms, administrative offices and more, closed in 2003 due to seismic concerns. A near-identical version of the building is one of the projects listed for Measure F, the $282-million school bond that voters passed in 2005.
BUSINESS
By By Andrew Edwards | November 9, 2005
Former headquarters of insurance group are being torn down to make way for home furnishings shopping center.COSTA MESA -- Concrete, insulation and rebar were piled outside the former regional headquarters of State Farm Insurance on Tuesday as a demolition crew worked to tear down the building to make way for a planned retail center. Tuesday was the beginning of work to tear down the main structure, construction supervisor Mike Brion said. Workers had been busy gutting the inside of the building since late October.
NEWS
By Emily Foxhall | December 19, 2013
When Marina Park residents vacated their mobile homes to make way for a new public park, the fate of the structures fell to a demolition company. The crews, who had assumed responsibility for them from the city, planned to raze the Balboa Peninsula site. But in a twilight-hour negotiation, two Orange County companies purchased many of the mobile homes from the demolition company and intend to move them to other parks. The slight change in plans may create some savings for the city.
NEWS
December 2, 2000
Deepa Bharath Workers used chains Friday to pull out four cars that were trapped in a lower level parking structure of a collapsed building near Rhine Channel in Newport Beach. The garage of a 23-year-old building on Lafayette Street caved in Nov. 6, when a rusty support beam gave way. The parking structure snapped off the main office building and tipped toward the bay, a portion of it resting on the shallow end of the bay. On the day of the collapse, one car was partially submerged.
NEWS
December 1, 2000
Deepa Bharath NEWPORT BEACH -- Demolition work will begin Monday on a building near the Rhine Channel that collapsed last month and was declared unsafe by the city. The 23-year-old building's parking garage facing the bay caved in Nov. 6 when a rusty support beam gave way. The garage snapped off the main structure, an office building. Workers have been preparing for the demolition since last week, disconnecting utilities, shoring and securing the area before the building comes down.
NEWS
By: Barbara Diamond | September 30, 2005
Demolition began Friday on an Oriole Drive home declared a public nuisance by the City Council at the Sept. 20 meeting. The owner of the property at 925 Oriole Drive -- dubbed "the mausoleum" by neighbors -- was the only holdout to agreements that allow the city to enter private property and demolish and remove structures damaged in the June 1 landslide. Demolition and removal of debris is necessary so that emergency repairs and temporary fixes -- known as winterization -- can move forward.
NEWS
By Eric Sanders | August 11, 2006
After sitting empty for more than six months, the mobile homes of the former El Morro Village at Crystal Cove State Park are being removed, beginning the process of turning the property into a state beach. The salvage operation taking place on the coastline side is expected to be completed by today. The remainder of the mobile-home park is expected to be removed by Sept. 13. To clear away the trailers, a private contractor was hired by the state. Some of the trailers are being sold to private mobile-home-park owners in Southern California, and some are being moved out of the country, said Steven Wuo, owner of Wuo Investments, the private contractor hired by the state.
NEWS
November 18, 2000
-- Deepa Bharath NEWPORT BEACH -- The owner of a building near the Rhine Channel that collapsed last week and was declared unsafe by the city started taking steps to demolish it Thursday. The 23-year-old office building's parking garage gave way Nov. 6 as it snapped off the main structure. The garage is now resting on the shallow end of the harbor. City building officials have said a rusty support beam, corroded by the sea water, caused the collapse.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
February 18, 2014
Machines buzzed and clanged behind a green construction barrier Tuesday morning as crews began the demolition of what was once Nabers Cadillac dealership, a Harbor Boulevard mainstay for nearly half a century. The lot at Merrimac Way and Harbor Boulevard in Costa Mesa was most recently home to Orange Coast Buick GMC Cadillac, which has temporarily moved its operations into a neighboring facility until construction is complete. The old campus - where bulldozers dismantled rows of aging service ports and an outdoor courtesy car wash stood in decay - will be replaced by a new "state of the art" dealership with 32 indoor service bays and two "Internet-driven" showrooms, according to Orange Coast Buick GMC Cadillac officials.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Emily Foxhall | December 19, 2013
When Marina Park residents vacated their mobile homes to make way for a new public park, the fate of the structures fell to a demolition company. The crews, who had assumed responsibility for them from the city, planned to raze the Balboa Peninsula site. But in a twilight-hour negotiation, two Orange County companies purchased many of the mobile homes from the demolition company and intend to move them to other parks. The slight change in plans may create some savings for the city.
NEWS
By Bradley Zint | August 22, 2013
The Orange County Fair Board on Thursday approved spending an estimated $112,000 to relocate the once-threatened Memorial Gardens Building. Work is scheduled to begin Monday toward moving the World War II-era structure to Lot G on the eastern side of the 150-acre fairgrounds, near the 55 Freeway, said Gary Hardesty, the fairgrounds' chief technology and production officer. The former barracks, once part of a large Army base that comprised about 1,300 acres of modern-day Costa Mesa, had been slated for demolition this month to make way for a new Pacific Amphitheatre entrance plaza.
NEWS
By Joseph Serna | August 6, 2012
The Orange County Transportation Authority is working on a second toll-road option for the San Diego (405) Freeway improvement project that would keep the Fairview Road overpass from being torn down. The option, called Alternative "3-A," would have two toll lanes like Alternative "3," but they would start north of Fairview and south of Harbor Boulevard. Under that choice, crews would not have to tear down the Fairview bridge that Costa Mesa widened a few years ago, or create a new lane from the Corona del Mar (73)
NEWS
From the Los Angeles Times | December 31, 2011
Wild Rivers' endless summer is finally over. The Orange County water park that had been living on borrowed time for the last five seasons is now just a memory. After more than a quarter of a century of water slides and wave pools, Wild Rivers failed to secure another lease extension from the Irvine Co., which owns the land and plans to build apartments on the property. A post on the Theme Park Review fan site features two dozen photos showing the progress of the ongoing demolition work.
NEWS
August 31, 2011
The saying goes that one man's trash is another man's treasure. For a few hours Tuesday, Newport Beach firefighters put an eyesore at Dover Drive and Coast Highway to good use, using what will soon be a pile of rubble as their own personal training ground. "We love to train on active buildings before they get bulldozed," said Todd Knipp, a Newport Beach fire battalion chief. Knipp and other firefighters used the abandoned building, donated by a private company that plans to demolish it, for vertical ventilation training, where they cut holes in the roof.
NEWS
By Mona Shadia, mona.shadia@latimes.com | July 24, 2010
COSTA MESA — It was like a scene from a movie where drivers go at each other, hitting and crushing one another, but only this time, it was all real. And the audience cheered, screamed, clapped and rooted for their favorite driver and car to win. "You never really get to crush your own car, so you want to see other people do it," said Lori Galloway, who came to watch the Orange Crush Demolition Derby at the Orange County Fair with her husband for the fifth year in a row. Twelve cars, including one that was auctioned off for a children's cause and another that was driven by a quadriplegic, crushed one another Saturday until only one remained standing.
NEWS
April 22, 2009
Construction crews began bulldozing the old Oasis Senior Center in Corona del Mar this week to make way for a new, $16.5 million state-of-the-art facility. The senior center has run its programs out of an old school building on Marguerite Avenue since the 1970s. The new, 36,500-square-foot center will feature a fitness center and a library and computer room and will utilize recycled materials from the old senior center in the construction. The project was originally slated to cost about $20 million, but construction bids came in so low that officials announced earlier this year that the city won’t need to borrow any money to finance the project for the time being.
NEWS
By Jerry Simpson | March 3, 2009
Hello neighbors, My name is Jerry Simpson. I live at 2195 Raleigh Ave. My wife and I have lived in our home for more than 10 years. I just wanted to let you know what’s going on in our neighborhood and what the future will be for Raleigh Avenue. Christ Lutheran Church wants to expand its facility and demolish the home at 2199 Raleigh Ave. I and a couple of our neighbors spoke in front of the Planning Commission against this expansion and demolition. The Planning Commission approved the demolition with no regard to us neighbors.
NEWS
By Daniel Tedford | July 11, 2008
The Mariners Medical Arts Center will avoid the wrecking ball and any other construction for the time being, Newport Beach city officials said Friday. The building at 1901 Westcliff Drive — designed in 1963 by architectural giant Richard Neutra — was planned to be demolished by its owner in an effort to construct a new three-phase building project, the first phase of which could have started as early as this month after a building permit was recently issued. But after local architects and community members protested the project, city officials looked into documents referencing the building and new construction.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|