September 28, 2012
Two brothers accused of assaulting an elderly woman while she waited at a Costa Mesa bus stop pleaded not guilty Friday, court records show. Paul Grigore Patrulescu, 30, and Ciprian Patrulescu, 31, both of Costa Mesa, each face one felony charge of inflicting injury on an elderly adult. They are suspected of punching an 83-year-old Irvine woman twice in the head, according to the Orange County district attorney's office. About 4 a.m. Aug. 18 near Harbor Boulevard and Baker Street, the Patrulescus reportedly first asked the woman if she wanted to eat dinner with them, but when she refused and then screamed, they struck her twice in the face before fleeing on foot, prosecutors said.
October 18, 2013
A mugging at knifepoint became Costa Mesa's third robbery in less than four hours Thursday night, according to Costa Mesa police. Just after 9 p.m., an unidentified man held a knife to his victim's throat near Fairview Road and Arlington Drive, police said. The mugger took the victim's wallet, Sgt. Brent McKinley said. The estimated loss was $450, McKinley said. A description of the man and further details about the crime were not available. Hours earlier, about 5:30 p.m., a man with a handgun attempted to rob a salon on Broadway before running off. A person matching his description and carrying a handgun robbed a Subway sandwich shop on 19th Street half an hour later.
July 18, 2012
The international company that the city of Costa Mesa has tapped to take over its city jails, G4S Security Solutions, is unable to meet its contractual requirements to provide security for the Summer Olympics in London, according to the New York Times . Costa Mesa agreed to contract with G4S last year and is awaiting the resolution of a lawsuit with city employees before any service can be privatized. The company's chief executive, Nick Buckles, acknowledged that G4S's performance ahead of the Olympics was in "humiliating shambles," the Times reported.
January 3, 2013
It was a safe year for those traveling through Costa Mesa. The year 2012 marked the first since 1984 in which no traffic fatalities occurred. Police attributed the benchmark to a combination of safer driving practices in the community, a partnership with the California Office of Traffic Safety, and inter-departmental teamwork within the city. "We have periodic meetings where we as a Traffic Safety Bureau sit down with the Transportation Services Division and discuss problem spots and review accident patterns," said Costa Mesa Police Lt. Rob Sharpnack.
October 9, 2013
Historical figures. A train engineer. Mr. and Mrs. Frankenstein. It may sound like a lineup for trick-or-treating, but it's actually a cross-section of the submissions expected for Costa Mesa's Scarecrow Festival this weekend. Thirty-five scarecrows have been registered for the two-day festival, which will take place Saturday and Sunday at Goat Hill Junction, 2398 Placentia Ave., as part of the city's 60th anniversary celebration. Registration for the event closed Oct. 1. Participants may sign in their scarecrows between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Friday at the event location.
November 12, 2012
A Huntington Beach man accused of stabbing a man to death in Costa Mesa pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, according to court records. Adolpho Mireles, 38, who was recently released from prison at the time of the crime, allegedly killed 43-year-old Robert Liken in September after starting a fight with the man in the 1100 block of Atlanta Way, Costa Mesa police said. Mireles, whose name was initially reported as Adolph Mireles, reportedly fought over a relationship both men had with Mireles' girlfriend, authorities said.
April 15, 2013
Hazmat and bomb squad crews were searching a home in Costa Mesa where a man died after setting off an explosion. At least 16 homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution. According to police, the blast happened a residence in the 3100 block of Bermuda Drive between 7:30 and 8 p.m. Sunday. Neighbors said that, on Sunday evening, the man who owns the home was lying unresponsive on his front lawn. An ambulance was called, but he refused to go to the hospital, and instead went back into the house.
October 19, 2012
A man arrested by Irvine police on suspicion of endangering his daughter by leaving her at a community college was released because the Orange County district attorney's office declined to prosecute, jail records show. Jason Richard Buchea, 33, of Costa Mesa, was arrested Monday on suspicion of leaving his 11-month-old daughter in a car seat in the parking lot at Irvine Valley College, but he was released from jail Wednesday. "I can tell you they've reviewed the case and … chosen not to move ahead with prosecution," Irvine Police Cmdr.
December 27, 2011
COSTA MESA — Taco Bell will start construction early next year for a new location on Harbor Boulevard with a 24-hour drive-thru, according to a city Planning Commission agenda. The new 2,733-square-foot location will open at 3115 Harbor Blvd. La-Z-Boy furniture is the former occupant of the vacant parcel, according to a city staff report. The new Taco Bell will have a 57-seat indoor dining area with proposed business hours from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. The project is estimated to bring up to 300 temporary construction jobs and about 30 permanent employee positions, according to the report.
May 28, 2010
An Orange Coast College student suspected of killing a woman inside his Costa Mesa apartment was found dead Thursday night, according to official sources in the police department. It did not appear that Herr had committed suicide or that his death was accidental, the source said. Police considered Herr the primary suspect in the shooting death of a 23-year-old Irvine woman inside his apartment last weekend. Police officials said they will not reveal the woman’s identity because she could be considered a victim of a sexual assault or domestic violence.