Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Daily Pilot HomeCollectionsCarmax
IN THE NEWS

Carmax

FEATURED ARTICLES
BUSINESS
By Joseph Serna | June 12, 2008
In a time of rising gas prices, sinking property values and a push toward more fuel-efficient cars, CarMax is hedging its bets that things will improve, officials said. “We know this is just a bump in the road,” said CarMax Regional Vice President Vaughn Sigmon. Costa Mesa’s city and business leaders were on hand Thursday for CarMax’s latest venture — a more than 20,000-square-foot car lot at 3200 Harbor Blvd., just south of the 405 Freeway. The lot will hold between 300 and 400 used cars for sale and employ about 65 people, CarMax officials said.
LOCAL
July 4, 2007
Council members got hung up on arguments for and against a proposed CarMax auto superstore on the site of the former Wickes Furniture and had not decided that issue at press time. The CarMax debate arose when residents in the adjacent French Quarter townhomes appealed the planning commissions approval on the project. The residents argued the auto dealer would generate too much traffic, light and noise. A spokesman for developer Henry Segerstrom & Sons said other stores that wanted the site, including Kohl's and Home Depot, would cause far more impact on the neighborhood.
NEWS
By: Darleene Barrientos | September 7, 2005
CarMax Inc., one of the nation's largest retailers of used cars is preparing to open a lot at the corner of Alameda Avenue and Flower Street, a property officials once envisioned as community soccer fields. CarMax, Inc., which operates 60 superstores nationwide that buy and sell used vehicles, is in the initial stages of opening a 20,000-square-foot store on the lot. Plans, which the company's Public Relations Manager Trina Lee warned were "really preliminary," will likely be for a store with room for 300 to 400 vehicles and employ 75 to 100 people.
LOCAL
By Jack Salisbury | July 3, 2008
The CarMax on Harbor Boulevard has been open for just three weeks, but it already appears to have established itself within the Costa Mesa community. The lot was the site of Southern California’s “Survivor” casting call last month and is in a can’t-miss location just south of the 405 Freeway. With gas prices at all-time highs and many questioning the future of the automotive industry, this wouldn’t appear to be the best time to open a car dealership.
ENTERTAINMENT
By Jack Salisbury | June 19, 2008
The newly opened CarMax dealership in Costa Mesa was buzzing Thursday with hundreds of people coming from across Southern California and from as far as Colorado. They were not there to buy cars, however. An estimated 700 people showed up to the open casting call for the 18th season of “Survivor,” the show many call the father of reality television. “It’s great,” KCBS TV spokesperson Mike Nelson said. “Especially since we’re talking about the 18th season of a show.
BUSINESS
January 16, 2008
CarMax, the nation’s largest used-car retailer, plans to open a dealership in Costa Mesa this year in the space formerly occupied by Wickes Furniture. The Virginia-based company began construction in October at 3200 Harbor Blvd. and hopes to open the site for business in June. Elia Imler, an assistant public affairs manager for CarMax, said the company chose the 6.9-acre site as its first in Costa Mesa because it will be easily accessible to commuters. The local CarMax is expected to employ between 75 and 100 people and stock 300 to 500 vehicles.
FEATURES
By Jim Righeimer | February 2, 2008
The week started off as any other in the Righeimer household. Saturday morning I met up with Costa Mesa City Councilman Allan Mansoor at the Hale Crest and Hall of Fame Homeowners’ Assn. yearly meeting. We had recently approved the CarMax at Harbor Boulevard and Gisler Avenue, and we wanted to hear how the construction was affecting the neighborhood. My almost 4-year-old Ellie, who begged to go that morning, was now squirming in her seat thinking she should have stayed home with her sisters instead of learning how CarMax had designed the center dividers to keep truck traffic out of the neighborhood.
NEWS
April 19, 2010
. FOR THE RECORD: Sunday?s editorial on Harbor Boulevard and a related article, ?Harboring business help,? April 14, incorrectly stated that Councilman Eric Bever had formed an ad hoc committee to examine economic improvement along that corridor. In fact, Bever and others have been meeting informally to discuss the issue, but not as a city-sanctioned committee.. Costa Mesa Councilman Eric Bever deserves credit for reviving efforts to improve Harbor Boulevard. In 2009 Bever joined an ad hoc committee striving to stimulate economic activity along the boulevard, but other issues sidetracked that work.
NEWS
By Mona Shadia | April 13, 2010
Costa Mesa Councilman Eric Bever said he is brainstorming ways to revive struggling sections of Harbor Boulevard. “The economy is going to come back,” he said. “And if we can get something going, whether it’s incentives or zone changes, some general plan amendment, if we can get that street ready for when the economy comes back, I think that will be helpful. If we don’t have anything in place, then all the existing uses stand.” Bever said all of the ideas he discussed were preliminary and would have to be analyzed before formal proposals are made.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
April 19, 2010
. FOR THE RECORD: Sunday?s editorial on Harbor Boulevard and a related article, ?Harboring business help,? April 14, incorrectly stated that Councilman Eric Bever had formed an ad hoc committee to examine economic improvement along that corridor. In fact, Bever and others have been meeting informally to discuss the issue, but not as a city-sanctioned committee.. Costa Mesa Councilman Eric Bever deserves credit for reviving efforts to improve Harbor Boulevard. In 2009 Bever joined an ad hoc committee striving to stimulate economic activity along the boulevard, but other issues sidetracked that work.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Mona Shadia | April 13, 2010
Costa Mesa Councilman Eric Bever said he is brainstorming ways to revive struggling sections of Harbor Boulevard. “The economy is going to come back,” he said. “And if we can get something going, whether it’s incentives or zone changes, some general plan amendment, if we can get that street ready for when the economy comes back, I think that will be helpful. If we don’t have anything in place, then all the existing uses stand.” Bever said all of the ideas he discussed were preliminary and would have to be analyzed before formal proposals are made.
LOCAL
By Jack Salisbury | July 3, 2008
The CarMax on Harbor Boulevard has been open for just three weeks, but it already appears to have established itself within the Costa Mesa community. The lot was the site of Southern California’s “Survivor” casting call last month and is in a can’t-miss location just south of the 405 Freeway. With gas prices at all-time highs and many questioning the future of the automotive industry, this wouldn’t appear to be the best time to open a car dealership.
ENTERTAINMENT
By Jack Salisbury | June 19, 2008
The newly opened CarMax dealership in Costa Mesa was buzzing Thursday with hundreds of people coming from across Southern California and from as far as Colorado. They were not there to buy cars, however. An estimated 700 people showed up to the open casting call for the 18th season of “Survivor,” the show many call the father of reality television. “It’s great,” KCBS TV spokesperson Mike Nelson said. “Especially since we’re talking about the 18th season of a show.
BUSINESS
By Joseph Serna | June 12, 2008
In a time of rising gas prices, sinking property values and a push toward more fuel-efficient cars, CarMax is hedging its bets that things will improve, officials said. “We know this is just a bump in the road,” said CarMax Regional Vice President Vaughn Sigmon. Costa Mesa’s city and business leaders were on hand Thursday for CarMax’s latest venture — a more than 20,000-square-foot car lot at 3200 Harbor Blvd., just south of the 405 Freeway. The lot will hold between 300 and 400 used cars for sale and employ about 65 people, CarMax officials said.
FEATURES
By Jim Righeimer | February 2, 2008
The week started off as any other in the Righeimer household. Saturday morning I met up with Costa Mesa City Councilman Allan Mansoor at the Hale Crest and Hall of Fame Homeowners’ Assn. yearly meeting. We had recently approved the CarMax at Harbor Boulevard and Gisler Avenue, and we wanted to hear how the construction was affecting the neighborhood. My almost 4-year-old Ellie, who begged to go that morning, was now squirming in her seat thinking she should have stayed home with her sisters instead of learning how CarMax had designed the center dividers to keep truck traffic out of the neighborhood.
BUSINESS
January 16, 2008
CarMax, the nation’s largest used-car retailer, plans to open a dealership in Costa Mesa this year in the space formerly occupied by Wickes Furniture. The Virginia-based company began construction in October at 3200 Harbor Blvd. and hopes to open the site for business in June. Elia Imler, an assistant public affairs manager for CarMax, said the company chose the 6.9-acre site as its first in Costa Mesa because it will be easily accessible to commuters. The local CarMax is expected to employ between 75 and 100 people and stock 300 to 500 vehicles.
NEWS
July 12, 2007
Council members got hung up on arguments for and against a proposed CarMax auto superstore on the site of the former Wickes Furniture and had not decided that issue at press time. The CarMax debate arose when residents in the adjacent French Quarter townhomes appealed the planning commissions approval on the project. The residents argued the auto dealer would generate too much traffic, light and noise. A spokesman for developer Henry Segerstrom & Sons said other stores that wanted the site, including Kohl's and Home Depot, would cause far more impact on the neighborhood.
NEWS
By Alicia Robinson | July 5, 2007
Costa Mesa voters won't see a ballot measure next year on whether they should directly elect the mayor. Instead, the City Council's five members will continue to choose among themselves who will wield the gavel. Former Mayor Gary Monahan, who was termed out in 2006 but is eligible to run for council again in 2008, asked the council in June to put the issue of a directly elected mayor on the ballot. "Give the voters of Costa Mesa an opportunity to decide if they would actually like to choose the figurehead of the city," Monahan urged.
Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|