December 3, 2007
A residential fire in Newport Beach consumed an entire kitchen, but no one was injured, authorities said. The fire was reported around 3:30 p.m. Sunday after one of the home’s residents walked in on the flames. She was able to exit the house unharmed and quickly reported the fire, said Battalion Chief Ron Gamble. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes. Afterward firefighters took thermal imaging of the walls to check for any unseen heat spots and checked the attic as well, Gamble said.
December 8, 2004
BRIEFLY IN THE NEWS Fire causes damage, but no one is injured A fire that broke out in a Newport Beach home Monday caused $50,000 in damages and appeared to have started where a fireplace vent met a wall, fire officials said. Firefighters from Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Costa Mesa and the Orange County Fire Authority put out the blaze about 90 minutes after it was reported. Before the home's residents left for dinner, they shut off the gas fireplace in the newly remodeled, two-story home at 2041 Port Provence in the Harbor View Homes Community.
July 16, 2006
Couldn't we all use Emily Anastos as a neighbor? On Monday, the 6-year-old Eastbluff girl was having trouble sleeping, so she went and looked out her parent's bedroom window. Usually, she'd watch the neighbor's dogs, but this time she watched a line of smoke rising from her neighbor's roof. Emily ran downstairs and alerted her parents, who then went and talked to the neighbor. Sure enough, there was a smoldering fire in the attic, which ended up causing about $50,000 in damage ?
January 9, 2012
COSTA MESA — A firefighter was burned and a family temporarily displaced after smoke and flames engulfed a garage early Monday. Costa Mesa firefighters responded to the blaze at the 3000 block of Warren Lane about 1:11 a.m. The first to arrive on the scene found fire and smoke breaking through the roof of the home's garage. It took 20 firefighters 20 minutes to extinguish the flames, which also did some damage to an attic. One firefighter suffered burns to his hand and was treated at a local hospital.
December 5, 2011
A pile of debris caused a house fire Monday in Newport Beach that stopped traffic and caused $20,000 worth in damages, authorities said. Firefighters responded to a call from a neighbor reporting a fire in the 200 block of East Balboa Boulevard about 2:26 p.m., the Newport Beach Fire Department said in a news release. When firefighters arrived they discovered the blaze extended from the patio of the Balboa Peninsula home to the attic. Two traffic lanes on East Balboa Boulevard were rerouted for about 30 minutes while firefighters extinguished the fire.
December 13, 2011
Three Newport Beach firefighters injured while battling a fire in a decorative chimney facade have been released from the hospital, authorities said Tuesday. Firefighters responded to a fire in Big Canyon on Rue Deauville about 7:39 p.m. Monday, the Newport Beach Fire Department said in a news release. Firefighters tried to put out the blaze as it moved to the walls and attic outside the chimney case. They ventilated the roof to help extinguish the blaze. The fire was put out in about 20 minutes, the release said.
November 11, 2003
Fire causes about $850,000 in damage No one was hurt in a Sunday evening fire which caused about $850,000 in damage to a three-story Newport Coast home, Newport Beach fire officials said. The call came in at about 6:15 p.m. Sunday when the resident in the 80 block of Anjou reported that he smelled smoke minutes after he tried to turn on his fireplace, officials said. The smoke detector went off, and the resident saw smoke in the attic and called 911, said Jennifer Schulz, spokeswoman for the Fire Department.
July 1, 2003
Deepa Bharath Bradford Salamon is afraid to look under the mound of rubble in his studio. His lithographs, archives and life's works are in the studio on Old Newport Boulevard that a late Saturday night fire ravaged and that, officials say, caused $50,000 in damages. But fortunately for Salamon and for Jamie Wilson, who owns Square Blue Art Inc., a gallery adjoining Salamon's studio, Newport Beach firefighters acted quickly, and the fire, which could have resulted in a far greater loss, was snuffed out quickly.
March 21, 2002
Deepa Bharath NEWPORT BEACH -- It was Jim Ulcickas' lucky day. The owner of Bluewater Grill said his Newport Beach restaurant would have burned to the ground if not for Lucky the dog, who lives with a family across the street from the eatery. Lucky barked and alerted his owner early Wednesday morning when he saw flames shooting from behind the restaurant. The owner called 911, Ulcickas said. "As a result the building had very minor damage," he said.
July 31, 2001
Deepa Bharath COSTA MESA -- Six children living in a local group home for the abused was forced to relocated Monday afternoon after an electrical fire made the building uninhabitable and caused about $150,000 in damage, officials said. Nobody was injured in the fire that officials believe originated in a downstairs office room of the 2,500-square-foot home in the 900 block of Dahlia Avenue. The flames spread to the attic and upstairs, causing fire and smoke damage to one bedroom and a bathroom, said Costa Mesa Fire Battalion Chief Keith Fujimoto.