Advertisement

Sunlight, mirror cause couch fire at Newport home

January 27, 2014

Sunlight reflecting off a concave makeup mirror caused a couch to catch fire inside a Newport Beach home Monday, according to a news release.

The rays streamed through the second-floor window of a residence in the 600 block of Poinsettia and bounced off the mirror, which rested on a fabric loveseat, said Newport Beach police spokeswoman Jennifer Manzella.

No one at the Corona del Mar home, but the smoke alarm went off, prompting a neighbor to call the authorities.

Advertisement

Seven Newport Beach Fire Department units responded at 10:13 a.m.

The couch was the only thing damaged.

Such incidents have occurred before and are more common during the winter, when the sun sits lower on the horizon, Manzella said.

— Emily Foxhall

Twitter: @emfoxhall

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|
|
|