Boys' Water Polo: Mustangs extend reign

Quinn Smith scores seven goals, leading Costa Mesa over Estancia for third straight year in a wet Battle for the Bell game.

October 09, 2013|By Matt Szabo
(KEVIN CHANG / Daily…)

The water polo game ended in a football score Wednesday, just before the skies opened up with pouring rain.

Two days before the Battle for the Bell football game, the contest was played in water polo at Costa Mesa's pool.

The Mustangs topped rival Estancia, 20-7, and they wouldn't mind a similar score on Friday night at Jim Scott Stadium.

In water polo, it was a good start to Orange Coast League play for Costa Mesa (7-4). Quinn Smith, a junior, led the way for the Mustangs with seven goals. He helped Mesa win the Bell game in the pool for the third straight year.

Smith was one of three juniors to score multiple goals for the Mustangs, as Raymond Andrade had four and Matt Brown put in three. Senior Sagang Wee also had a hat trick, while junior Trent Teague, sophomore Adrian Palacios and freshman Jacob Peterson added one goal each.


"Quinn's an extremely talented athlete in general, and his skills in water polo have been consistently improving over the last two years," Costa Mesa Coach Justin Taylor said. "He's somebody that we're looking to carry a lot of the offensive load for us throughout the season. I think he's done a great job ... He's had a more defensive role throughout the last couple of years, and he's discovered that he's quite capable of being an offensive weapon.

"The guy can shoot the ball from anywhere in the pool and score. He shoots the lights out of the ball, he shoots extremely hard and he's just done a great job for us this year."

Taylor said his team could be called "offense by committee." Two freshmen contributed Wednesday, as Peterson had the goal and two steals and Nick Warner tallied three assists.

Two players who were missing were juniors Deighton Tachiki-Urias and Nick Lewis, who were both second-team All-Orange Coast League selections last year for the Mustangs but are no longer on the team — or at the school.

Taylor confirmed that they have both transferred to Huntington Beach High. He declined to comment further.

The Mustangs still dominated the Eagles (2-9). They opened up leads of 4-1 after the first quarter and 9-2 at halftime. By then, Smith already had four goals.

"Our team's pretty solid," Smith said. "I think my whole team helped me. We help each other."

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles