Woman gives kidney to stranger

Newport Beach resident offers new life to Massachusetts man found through donor network's Facebook page.

May 01, 2013|By Annie Kim
  • Newport Beach resident Kelly Wright, left, with Eddie Beatrice at his home in Massachusetts before she donated her kidney to him in April.
Newport Beach resident Kelly Wright, left, with Eddie…

After more than a year of suffering from Stage 5 kidney failure, Eddie Beatrice decided to look online for a kidney donor.

"It was Jan. 1 [2013] and I said, 'Today is the day I'm going to take back control of my life,' " said Beatrice, 51, of North Reading, Mass.

Kelly Wright, 44, of Newport Beach, decided it was time to give someone else another chance at life after seeing the Donate Life float at the Rose Parade that same day.

"I really wanted to do that for someone," Wright said. "I thought it would be a wonderful thing to give someone their life back."

Beatrice and Wright connected that day through the Kidney Donor Network's Facebook page. Then, in April, they underwent surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital.


They are now recovering.

Wright has always been a risk taker, said Gerry, her husband of 17 years.

Once she convinced her husband to take over most of the family duties for one year so she could train for the Ironman Triathlon. She also convinced him to quit his job and move to Wisconsin so she could attend veterinary school.

Then she announced she was going to donate her kidney to someone she had never met, someone who lived thousands of miles away.

"I was concerned about her health and how our family would deal with the decision that she made," said Gerry Wright, 52.

He knew, however, there was no point in trying to change his wife's mind.

"She is stubborn," he said. "If she has her mind made up, it will be difficult to change. Whether it's buying a couch, [doing] Ironman or donating a kidney. Once she commits to something, there's no turning back for her. That's a quality not a lot of people have."

Beatrice had been in end-stage renal failure for more than a year after rotator cuff surgery sent him into septic shock.

"They were reading me my last rites," he said. "I was on life support, and they called my kids in from college."

Beatrice had spent more than three straight months at Massachusetts General Hospital and afterward had been going to dialysis for four hours a day, three times a week.

"Dialysis stinks, but it's better than the alternative," she said. "Without it I would have been dead in three to four days."

Wright had considered donating a kidney in the past but wanted to wait until her children were older.

"I explained to [my kids] that Eddie was a nice person who had a family that needed him," Wright said. "So mommy was going to give him something that she had two of so that he could spend time with his kids."

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles