Advertisement

Coroner IDs man who killed himself during standoff

October 10, 2012|By Lauren Williams

Authorities Wednesday identified the man who died in an hours-long standoff with Newport Beach police.

The Orange County coroner's office ruled the death of Terry Newhouse, 44, a suicide, according to Supervising Deputy Coroner Larry Esslinger.

Authorities spent a week searching for his next of kin. They could not find a home address for Newhouse, although his last known address was in Corona del Mar, Esslinger said.

Advertisement

About 9:15 p.m. Oct. 1, a woman called Newport Beach police to a Balboa Coves home where she said a man threatened her with a gun, police said.

Police found the woman unharmed outside the home, and called the man, later identified as Newhouse, urging him to leave the home, police said. Newhouse refused and said he was suicidal, police said.

SWAT team members later entered the house at 4:30 a.m. Oct. 2, and found Newhouse injured from an apparent gunshot wound to the head. He died an hour later at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, police said.

On Wednesday, police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe said Newhouse and the woman knew each other but said their relationship was unclear.

Public records show several addresses for a 44-year-old Terry Newhouse, including an apartment on East Coast Highway, and homes in Hacienda Heights, Whittier, Tustin and Mission Viejo, homes among others.

Newhouse was a licensed Realtor, and previously had a professional guard license, records show. In 2008, he filed a civil harassment lawsuit, but the details and outcome of the case were not immediately available.

— Brittany Woolsey contributed to this report.

lauren.williams@latimes.com

Twitter: @lawilliams30

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|
|
|