Two homes that are part of a controversial Ocean Boulevard lot merger were demolished last week — a move the owners hoped would protect them from the liability of owning uninsured vacant homes but which angered neighbors fighting the project.
"This kind of behavior is indefensible," said Jeff DuFine, whose mother-in-law lives on an Ocean Lane home that is part of a 1951 agreement impacted by the lot merger. "She's pretty devastated. She was crying."
The homes at 2808 and 2812 Ocean Blvd. are part of a five-home private agreement that restricts three homes in front to one story, protecting the ocean and park views from two homes in back on Ocean Lane.
The Newport Beach City Council will consider the lot merger appeal at its June 26 meeting.
Pit bull attack rare
Three pit bulls that bit two people last week near Newport Coast Drive and East Coast Highway could have been abandoned and don't reflect a wider problem, police said this week.