Advertisement

Peninsula fire causes about $53,000 in damage

February 13, 2012
(Courtesy Newport…)

Newport Beach firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze at a Balboa Peninsula home Sunday night, saving most of the home's interior.

Twenty-foot flames originally trapped neighbors of the Clubhouse Avenue home, but firefighters evacuated them. No injuries were reported.

The blaze apparently started in a wall near the home's fireplace, according to a news release by the Newport Beach Fire Department. Residents called 911 about 9 p.m. after their power shut off and they noticed bubbling in the walls near the fireplace, according to firefighters.

When they stepped outside, they saw heavy smoke pouring out of the chimney area, according to the release. Neighbors tried to tame the fire with a garden hose until firefighters arrived.

Soon, flames were leaping out of the home's second story and threatening the home next door. The neighbors were unable to walk down their main staircase because the fire was blocking it. Firefighters brought them to safety and extinguished the fire from inside the home.

Advertisement

Most of the damage, estimated at $53,000, was limited to the exterior of the first home.

Firefighters from Newport Beach and Costa Mesa responded to the scene, as did police from Newport Beach and the Huntington Beach police helicopter.

— Mike Reicher

Twitter: @mreicher

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|
|
|