Corona del Mar goes down to wire in victory against Huntington Beach

Erik Fisher scores with 25 seconds left as Sea Kings pull off impressive road victory.

September 09, 2011|By David Carrillo Pe├▒aloza
  • Corona del Mar's Troy Reese catches a pass for a touchdown over Huntington Beach's Darren Romo during a game at Huntington Beach High on Friday.
Corona del Mar's Troy Reese catches a pass for a touchdown… (SCOTT SMELTZER,…)

HUNTINGTON BEACH — Scott Meyer's led a high school football team to Huntington Beach High before as the head coach.

He returned Friday night in charge of a new program, Corona del Mar. The latest visit was just as successful and as close as the one four years ago.

Meyer survived another nailbiter in Huntington Beach, as the Sea Kings came back twice to beat the Oilers, 28-21.

"Our guys just never quit," Meyer said. "We just kept battling and kept battling with them."

The resiliency paid off for CdM, which improved to 2-0 in Meyer's first season with the school.

The game came down to the wire. Running back Erik Fisher scored the go-ahead touchdown with 25 seconds left to play. The one-yard run was the senior's second rushing score of the night.

Fisher finished seven yards short of his second straight 100-yard game. But the yards that mattered most were the 22 he recorded on the game-winning drive.


Quarterback Brent Lawson engineered the drive after linebacker David Moore recovered a fumble on CdM's 36 with 5:28 remaining in the fourth.

The turnover was the Oilers' first and it led to CdM — ranked No. 4 in the CIF Southern Section Southern Division poll — defeating the Sunset League team for the second straight year.

Lawson, who finished with 224 yards and two touchdowns, completed two passes, the biggest a 23-yard hook up with wide receiver Troy Reese. The play put CdM on Huntington Beach's 36. The Sea Kings chewed up time, running seven straight times.

With little time left and quarterback Michael Chislock struggling to complete passes, Huntington Beach stood no chance at mounting a comeback. The Oilers (1-1) made it near midfield before time expired.

"Defensively, our guys were fast and aggressive," said Meyer, whose Sea Kings only allowed Chislock to complete six-of-25 passes for 80 yards.

The only times it seemed Chislock was successful was when the Oilers faced fourth-down situations in CdM territory.

Twice on those situations, the Sea Kings allowed two touchdowns in the first half.

With the game tied at 14 at halftime, the two offenses combined for zero points in the third quarter. Then Chris Ogilvie scored his second one-yard touchdown run with seven minutes left and the Oilers regained the lead at 21-14.

Lawson answered right away. He hit receiver Cole Cottrell on a 75-yard touchdown pass to tie the game. Cottrell finished with 123 yards on five catches.

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles