Velma C. Patterson was a resident of Costa Mesa from 1922 until Sept. 28, 2010. She was born in Orange on Feb. 4, 1911. Velma lived in her grandmother's boarding house, the Depot Park House in
Orange from her birth until she moved to 22nd Street and Santa Ana Avenue in Harper, which is now Costa Mesa. She attended Costa Mesa Grammar School and Lathrop Intermediate School in Santa Ana.
She was a child of the Depression and left school to help support her five younger brothers and sisters.
Velma worked as a domestic for the Aldrich Family on Bay Island. During her married years she lovingly raised her children and grandchildren, enjoyed gardening, baking and sewing. She loved traveling to Baja California with her husband, Earl.
Velma loved history, especially Orange County history. She was the oldest living member of the
Native Daughters of the Golden West, Grace Parlor 242, and a member of the Costa Mesa Historical Society and the Orange County Historical Society.