"We're pretty devastated. It was like someone punched you in the solar plexus," Jim Bollinger said. "It has been such a disappointing process since we had to move from El Morro."
The property where the home sits now is owned by Susan Bollinger's family.
The couple first applied to the city in January to keep their home on Elden Avenue. In March, their request was denied, but by that time they had already moved the home to the property.
The city allowed the couple to reapply in May to keep the home where it is, this time with plans that show improvements to be made. When it reached the commission, its approval included asking the Bollingers to submit plans showing upgrades and explaining how they would make the home appear permanent.
Neighbors who live near the mobile home have expressed concern that the appearance of the home will lower their property values.
But Jim Bollinger said he has not only renovated the home but also spent thousands of dollars on landscaping and a fence.
On July 3, Councilman Gary Monahan asked for the council to review the owners' application at the Tuesday meeting.
Because the home meets zoning requirements, Foley thought there was no justification for denying the Bollingers' request.
"The council's decision was a violation of their property rights," Foley said. "It was a very unfair decision, I thought."
She said they have some options; they can request a reconsideration, or they can file a writ with the court.
Jim Bollinger said he and his wife are considering their options and are upset about the council's decision.