(Page 2 of 5)

Wilson gave his heart and soul to making...


December 30, 2004

paper's publisher, Tom Johnson. Oetting joined the paper as a legal

advertising clerk in 1982.

She was promoted to legal advertising supervisor and later headed

that department. But it was 1998, when she became advertising

director, that her leadership qualities sparkled, Johnson said.


The former Newport mayor died March 18 at 85 from complications


from Parkinson's disease. Ryckoff was an advocate for slow growth and

the environment. He was elected to the City Council in 1972 and

served until 1980 -- a critical period for the city. It was during

this time that Newport Beach was drafting its first general plan,

which Ryckoff helped steer toward slow-growth priorities. The 1970s

were also a time of battles to preserve the Back Bay and to slow

expansion of John Wayne Airport -- causes that Ryckoff was involved



Owner of the Dover Drive home that drew neighbors' ire since the

'60s because of junk strewn on his lawn and roof, Thomassen died at

Hoag Hospital on April 14 at age 83.

He had been battling lymphoma and other ailments while city

officials were cracking down on the numerous code violations at his

home, including large quantities of debris on the lawn and tires on

the roof.


More than 1,000 people stood solemnly, almost silent, as a

flag-draped coffin containing the body of 22-year-old Win'E was

carried to the front of the auditorium at Calvary Chapel in May.

Family and friends came to pay tribute to Win'E, a longtime Costa

Mesa resident and U.S. Army specialist who died in action in Tikrit,

Iraq, on May 1 after the truck he was driving hit an improvised bomb

the previous day. Family and friends remembered him as a friendly,

supportive and always smiling person.


He was the first salaried president and chief operations officer

of the Orange County Performing Arts Center. He died on May 6 in his

Corona del Mar home. He was 70. Kendrick was first hired by the

center in 1985. He retired in 1993. Kendrick was involved in getting

the center's new cultural complex on its feet, including planning,

hiring employees, fundraising and marketing. He worked for the

Washington Post from 1959 to 1977, holding a variety of editing

positions. Before joining the performing arts center, he was director

of operations at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in

Washington, D.C., for nine years.


Even as the end of her life loomed just around the corner, the

former Newport Beach mayor kept looking straight ahead, eyeing the

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles