this spectrum? A couple of our members, whose commitment to Kiwanis
would never be questioned, do little service.
"I think that we'd all agree that Costa Mesa Kiwanis does a great
job in the meet-greet-and-eat and give-'em-the-bucks departments. But
how are we doing in service?
"I think we do a lot more here than people realize. So, at this
time of thanksgiving, here is a partial list of Kiwanis services for
which the community can be thankful (and proud).
* Anderson School Science Fair
* Adopt a Social Worker
* AYSO Pancake breakfast
* Athletes of the Month (monthly)
* ATSC Luncheon
* Boys and Girls Club Barbecue
* Circle-K, Key, and K-Kids weekly advisorships
* Costa Mesa High School Girls' Basketball Tournament
* Costa Mesa Police and Fire Expo
* Eagle Pride (quarterly)
* Hope of America
* Human Options Holiday Party
* K-Kids Halloween Carnival
* OCC Community Science Night
* Orange County Children's Book Festival
* Pediatric Trauma prevention
* Walk for Life Pancake Breakfast (Interclub with Irvine Club)
"So, you see, we're doing pretty well. What can you do to improve
"Note: If I omitted you favorite project from this list, I
apologize. Let me know and I'll add it in."
As you can see, the Kiwanis Club of Costa Mesa is an exceptional
service club for the community. Con- gratulations to them, and
continue to do great things in 2005.
READING BY 9 CORRECTION
Roger McGonegal, Rotary Reading by 9 chairman and a member of
Newport-Balboa, left a message on my answering machine after last
week's column, noting that I had given out the wrong address for
people to mail Reading by 9 donations to the Daily Pilot. Even my
editors missed it. So here is the correct address along with another
plug for supporting Reading by 9.
This year, Rotary Clubs of Newport-Balboa, Newport Irvine and
Newport Beach Sunrise are challenging Daily Pilot readers to match
$4,000 they are putting up to buy books for Pomona, Whittier and
Wilson Elementary Schools. Your $10 donation will be matched by the
Rotary clubs and by the publisher Scholastic to buy 11 reading books.