* BASKETBALL: The Corona del Mar High girls basketball team
defeated Buena Park, 49-16, in each teams' second game of pool play
in the Buena Park tournament Wednesday at Buena Park High.
Junior Katie Schulte had 17 points to lead the Sea Kings (3-6),
while senior Ashley Marks had eight.
Lightning surge ahead
* BASKETBALL: The Sage Hill boys basketball team remained perfect
in the Tarbut V'Torah tournament, beating the host Lions, 49-37,
Wednesday in the third game of pool play.
Three Lightning players scored in double figures, led by freshman
Jamie McGee, who finished with 19. Senior Matt Loper added 15 points.
Mustangs win handily
* WATER POLO: Sarah Bowman scored six times while Chandra Malapira
tallied five goals to lead the host Costa Mesa High girls water polo
team to a 16-2 nonleague win over Bolsa Grande Wednesday.
Annie Le and Carley Millian each added two goals while Carley
Millian scored once for Mesa (6-3). Kelly Gentling made five saves in
Buchmann keys Eagles
* WATER POLO: Melissa Buchmann tallied a game-high four goals
while goalkeeper Katie Mahan stopped 15 shots to help the Estancia
High girls water polo team post an 8-6 nonleague victory over
visiting La Quinta Wednesday.
Courtney Hess added two goals along with one each from Carolina
Barnes, who tallied seven assists, and Meagan Kunert for Estancia
Mustangs edge Lions
* SOCCER: The Costa Mesa High boys soccer team beat visiting
Westminster, 2-1, Wednesday in the Golden West League opener. Senior
Alfonso Pineda tied the game for the Mustangs (2-3-2, 1-0-0 in
league) in the 49th minute and senior Cesar Cabrera scored the
game-winner in the 72nd minute.
Defense shines for CdM
* SOCCER: The Corona del Mar High boys soccer team played to a 0-0
tie against host El Toro Wednesday in nonleague action. Junior
goalkeeper Andrew Dailynas had four saves for the Sea Kings (0-2-2).
Sea Kings gain ground
* BASKETBALL: Ryan Lance poured in 21 points, but the Corona del
Mar High boys basketball team fell to Edison, 59-56, in a
second-round loser's bracket contest of the Irvine World News
tournament at Woodbridge High Wednesday. Ted Slaughter added 14 for
the Sea Kings (3-5).
Gahr tames Newport
* BASKETBALL: The Newport Harbor High girls basketball team lost
to Gahr, 65-40, in both teams' first game of pool play in the Valley
Christian tournament Wednesday at Valley Christian High in Cerritos.
Senior Vanessa Miller had 13 points and sophomore Jessica Bodkin had
eight for the Sailors (3-3).
Oilers blank Sailors
* SOCCER: Newport Harbor High's boys soccer team struggled to find
the back of the goal and fell to nonleague host Huntington Beach,
2-0, at Golden West College Wednesday.
Carson Hedrick made six saves while left halfback Dave Manchester
added strong defense for the Sailors (0-4-2).
Mills eclipses 1,000
* BASKETBALL: Senior guard Lacey Mills surpassed the 1,000-point
mark with a game-high 30 points in the Vanguard University women's
basketball team's 107-38 victory over host La Sierra in Riverside