Advertisement

Yachts of Yesteryear

August 14, 2000

The 161-foot schooner Goodwill was one of the largest yachts ever to

make her home in Newport Harbor. Designed by H.J. Gielow, she was built

for Keith Spaulding of the sporting goods family by Bethlehem

Shipbuilding Corp. in Delaware and launched in 1922. She made two

Atlantic crossings and an extended cruise to the South Pacific under the

Spauldings.

In October 1942, the Navy leased Goodwill from Spaulding for $1 a

Advertisement

year. She was commissioned as a regular Navy vessel to operate on

offshore patrol. Seaman Dahl, a Spaulding employee, stayed with the boat

to see that she was properly cared for. He lost his cause. When the boat

was released by the Navy, all the teak had been painted gray, and

countless dart games had played havoc with the formerly perfect main

cabin.

Goodwill made many trips into Mexican waters. The last voyage ended

off the desolate Baja California coast during the night of May 25, 1959.

She was on a return trip to Ensenada from Cape San Lucas when she ran

aground on Sacramento Reef and sank in 30 feet of water. Nine people,

including owner Ralph Larrabee, a former machine shop proprietor who

lived on West Bay Avenue in Balboa, had been aboard. There were no

survivors.

Daily Pilot Articles Daily Pilot Articles
|
|
|