held in private homes
* Senior pastor: Larry Taylor
* Size of congregation: 100
* Makeup of congregation: All ages and backgrounds
* Child care: Provided at all services
* Type of Worship: Contemporary
* Type of Sermon: Verse-by-verse teaching through the books of the
* Recent sermon: "Becoming People of Prayer" based on Ephesians
* Upcoming sermon: Beginning Sunday, a new verse-by-verse study will
begin. The study will cover the minor prophets in the Old Testament, from
Hosea through Malachi. It will examine the blending of personal, intimate
fellowship with God, which brings peace and happiness, with the need for
people of faith to respond to social concerns, such as racism, poverty,
homelessness, materialism, corruption, AIDS, child abuse and violence.
* Welcome wagon: People of all ages and backgrounds are warmly
welcomed with friendly smiles and good food and coffee.
* Outreach programs: A broad range of outreach programs include
evangelistic outreaches, using music and drama, are held at local beaches
and parks; educational seminars on social issues of interest to the
community; ministries to the sick and infirm, to suicide survivors, on
women's issues, and on poverty relief. Many activities are scheduled to
promote friendships within the faith community, to build relationships,
to establish accountability and to provide a forum for emotional and
* Dress: Casual
* Church design: The congregation meets in a local school building.
* Mission statement: Our mission is to reach the community with the
love of Christ, serving those in need, and growing together as God's
children through concentrated, intelligent verse-by-verse Bible teaching
applied to our daily lives.
* Interesting note: Harbor Lights Chapel is a new church established
to provide the community with a small worship environment, where people
may get to know each other, use their individual gifts and talents, and
live in covenant relationship. The congregation is composed of believers
seeking to grow spiritually by studying the Bible in-depth.
The Rev. Taylor was ordained in 1973. Prior to becoming pastor of the
chapel, he established several churches in Colorado. He holds a doctorate
degree in clinical psychology, formerly had a private practice in
pastoral counseling and is the former director of Calvary Chapel Bible
College. Taylor is said to minister from his heart, having lost a son to
suicide in 1986. The chapel recently affiliated with the American
Baptists of the Pacific Southwest, a fellowship of independent churches
united for mission.
Compiled by Michele M. Marr